This past Summer, a few of us rode our mountain bikes from Nederland to Winter Park over the Continental Divide.
While this is not completely uncommon, lots of people have asked me for directions…well, below are directions…but we kind of had to feel our way along. In fact, these directions sort of suck…but we did not die and had a great ride.
The ride was as beautiful as you would expect – can’t wait to do it again this Summer.
If anyone has revisions to these directions, please let me know…I want to make them better.
From Nederland High School….
- Follow road to Eldora Ski Area
- Follow service road on the left side of the ski area (bunny runs)
- Look for sign about 200 yards for Service Access
- This should be Jenny Creek trail – follow it
- At the T, follow to left on Jenny Creek
- About 200 feet, jog right, cross pipe and keep going on Jenny Creek
- Stay on until junction (after long downhill) – stay heading West (right)
- Do not take Gwen Mountain Hut
- At the stream (Jenny Creek), go to the right of stream (tricky)
- Work across the stream…split left away from severe/rocky area
- Stay left up to ride
- Turn right on Rollins Pass Road – stay on it for about 5 miles or so
- Pass Yankee Doodle Lake
- Hike over tunnel (to the right)
- There is a faint trail over and down
Over the top….
– Once on the road, there will be logs/traffic barrier (between 50 and 100 feet down the road) off to the right – this is the Twin Trestles trail – turn here
- Twin Trestles intersects with Corona Pass Road – go down
- Take Corona Pass Road down about 3 miles
- When you come to a switchback to the left, look for a steep drop singletrack on the right – take it
- The singletrack branches…but go straight to the meadow…the trail disappears, but stay a little to the right (marshy) until you see a bridge (or something like a bridge) and follow that straight back to Corona Pass Road
- Take Broken Thumb trail to a water board road – go left (definitely not right)
- Take water board road to Corona Pass Road to 40
or for more singletrack…
- About a mile (two clearings on right) on the water board road, take the second clearing, to Twisted Ankle trail (not named) for about 3 miles
- Go left at the T (steepest part)
- Cross stream to the intersection – go right on the Ditch Trail and then left on the Homestead trail (looking for Meadow trail) to Rendezvous subdivision
- Take Rendezvous to 40